Active Citizenship Foundation (ACF) / Barangay Bayanan Governance Council (BBGC) / Institute for Popular Democracy (IPD)
The COMPACT for Peaceful Elections is a continuing project by a network of civil society organizations and individuals advocating for peaceful and democratic elections. This is achieved through movement and network building, popular campaigns, grassroots education and provision of legal service.
COMPACT was successfully initiated as a nationwide campaign against electoral violence during the 2004 National and Local Elections. In the 3-year period after the elections, the COMPACT network continued to work together in pursuing national and local interventions that addressed local peace issues and at the same time address national concerns especially those in relation to policies and government actions that violated civil and political rights of the citizens.
The May 2007 Elections presents a crucial conjuncture for the people's collective and critical response to the challenges of political violence.
COMPACT 2007 aims to counter the incidences of elections-related violence and fraud from all parties – administration and opposition, state and non-state actors alike – by strengthening and expanding the network of civil society organizations and individuals calling for peaceful and democratic politics in the Philippines. Specifically, COMPACT 2007 aims to:
- Strengthen and expand COMPACT as a network of civil society organizations and individuals advocating for peaceful and democratic politics in critical areas in the different regions;
- Initiate the engagement of this network of advocates with key political players and stakeholders to the May Elections, at the national and local levels, towards a peaceful conduct of the elections;
- Mobilize citizens to be active in the movements that will safeguard the electoral process from fraud and cheating; and,
- Host an international delegation of election observers that will monitor the election process.
International Observers Mission 2007
An International Observers Mission (IOM) has been organized to exert political pressure on the various political parties and candidates to refrain from resorting to violence and fraud during the elections and to get international support for the agenda of reforming the Philippine electoral system. The IOM will be composed of representatives of various political parties and civil society organizations from abroad.
Summary of Cases of Election-related Violence and Fraud
The COMPACT network will have local counterparts in the following election hotspot areas:
- Nueva Ecija
- Naga City and Legaspi
- Bacolod City and Negros Occidental
- Cotabato City and Maguindanao
For further inquiries, contact:
Compact for Peaceful Elections
c/o Active Citizenship Foundation, Inc. (ACF)
#101 Matahimik St., Teachers Village,
Quezon City, Philippines
Tel. No. : (0632) 925-5843
Fax. No. : (0632) 925-2936